Just thought I would post Anna's birth story that I had written on March 5th for memories sake.
Anna Makenzie Dupuis Due March 9th: born March 2nd 2006 9:18 am 7pounds 9 ounces Here is my beautiful girls birth story:
On Wednesday March 1st I called my doctor to tell her that I was up the night before because I felt itchy all over my body (but I didn't have a rash). She told me to come in that afternoon. I went in and she was concerned about my liver not working properly (which happens to alot of women near the end of their pregnancy) She sent me upstairs to L&D to have a non stress test and some blood work done. So I went upstairs and soon found out that one of the couples from my prenatal class was in the middle of labor and she was having a natural birth. I got hooked up to the monitor and continued to listen to the horrifying sounds coming from the room next door!!! As I was there I noticed mild period like cramps but didn't think much of it until the nurse told me they were actually contractions. I thought of people who have these for days so I didn't think anything of it. My doctor came in and told me that she was thinking of inducing me the following morning because she was concerned about my liver. She then did and internal exam and decided to strip my membranes very hard. It hurt like hell! Within minutes my "mild" contractions became a little stronger. I asked if I could go home as I thought it would be a long night. I was given sleeping pills and sent home. Within 30 minutes of being home I decided the pain was now too much to handle so we went back to the hospital. From there I was given gas to help with the pain and then a shot of morphine (which I didn't want but apparantly you are forced to get these pain reducers before they will even consider giving you an epidural). I made it up to 6 centimeters and didn't feel that either of these pain relivers helped one bit. I started to beg for the epidural and was having a hard time convincing the nurses to get my doctor to wake up to put in the order. (the doctor was on a 24 hour shift and was having a snooze)During all of this another couple (Erin and Brian) from my prenatal class checked in as well!!! We both wanted the epidural so bad that I actually ended up threatening the nurses that I would leave and go to another hospital if I didn't get it. Finally they got the message and I had the epidural within the hour (and so did Erin). From then on it was great, no pain whatsoever. I tried to sleep most of the night but I ended up talking with my husband, mom, and best friend who were all in the delivery room with me (and my mother inlaw who arrived at around 5am). By 7:30 am I was fully dialated and ready to go and so was the my prenatal class friend Erin. They delivered Anna's boyfriend Evan first as there were some complications . Once they were done we were next. We did some practice pushes and soon realized that I felt nothing because of the epidural. The nurse turned my epidural down a bit and was going to give me oxitocin to bring on stronger contractions but I begged her not to. She decided to give me a chance and try without. A few practice pushes turned the baby completely around and brought her head from -1 to +1. When it came time to push my husband had one leg my mother inlaw the other, my mom was behind my head pushing me forward and counting and my best friend was videotaping the whole thing. I could only feel a tiny bit of the contractions so I would know when to push but I couldn't feel anything but pressure when she was born. I had the best team and we pushed her out in 48 minutes with only a small tear the did not require stiches. She was perfect very healthy and so strong! I was very sick right after delivery I was throwing up, had high blood pressure, and a fever. I was given antibiotics and gravol and was soon feeling better but I missed out only seeing my baby for the first few minutes of her life as I was so ill. I went home after 24 hours and the first couple of days have been hard but are getting better every day. Giving birth was my biggest fear and I conqured it and it was the most beautiful and empowering experience I have ever had. Breastfeeding on the other hand has been so difficult and i have been pumping and bottle feeding because we are having such a difficult time with it.
Anna Makenzie Dupuis Due March 9th: born March 2nd 2006 9:18 am 7pounds 9 ounces Here is my beautiful girls birth story:
On Wednesday March 1st I called my doctor to tell her that I was up the night before because I felt itchy all over my body (but I didn't have a rash). She told me to come in that afternoon. I went in and she was concerned about my liver not working properly (which happens to alot of women near the end of their pregnancy) She sent me upstairs to L&D to have a non stress test and some blood work done. So I went upstairs and soon found out that one of the couples from my prenatal class was in the middle of labor and she was having a natural birth. I got hooked up to the monitor and continued to listen to the horrifying sounds coming from the room next door!!! As I was there I noticed mild period like cramps but didn't think much of it until the nurse told me they were actually contractions. I thought of people who have these for days so I didn't think anything of it. My doctor came in and told me that she was thinking of inducing me the following morning because she was concerned about my liver. She then did and internal exam and decided to strip my membranes very hard. It hurt like hell! Within minutes my "mild" contractions became a little stronger. I asked if I could go home as I thought it would be a long night. I was given sleeping pills and sent home. Within 30 minutes of being home I decided the pain was now too much to handle so we went back to the hospital. From there I was given gas to help with the pain and then a shot of morphine (which I didn't want but apparantly you are forced to get these pain reducers before they will even consider giving you an epidural). I made it up to 6 centimeters and didn't feel that either of these pain relivers helped one bit. I started to beg for the epidural and was having a hard time convincing the nurses to get my doctor to wake up to put in the order. (the doctor was on a 24 hour shift and was having a snooze)During all of this another couple (Erin and Brian) from my prenatal class checked in as well!!! We both wanted the epidural so bad that I actually ended up threatening the nurses that I would leave and go to another hospital if I didn't get it. Finally they got the message and I had the epidural within the hour (and so did Erin). From then on it was great, no pain whatsoever. I tried to sleep most of the night but I ended up talking with my husband, mom, and best friend who were all in the delivery room with me (and my mother inlaw who arrived at around 5am). By 7:30 am I was fully dialated and ready to go and so was the my prenatal class friend Erin. They delivered Anna's boyfriend Evan first as there were some complications . Once they were done we were next. We did some practice pushes and soon realized that I felt nothing because of the epidural. The nurse turned my epidural down a bit and was going to give me oxitocin to bring on stronger contractions but I begged her not to. She decided to give me a chance and try without. A few practice pushes turned the baby completely around and brought her head from -1 to +1. When it came time to push my husband had one leg my mother inlaw the other, my mom was behind my head pushing me forward and counting and my best friend was videotaping the whole thing. I could only feel a tiny bit of the contractions so I would know when to push but I couldn't feel anything but pressure when she was born. I had the best team and we pushed her out in 48 minutes with only a small tear the did not require stiches. She was perfect very healthy and so strong! I was very sick right after delivery I was throwing up, had high blood pressure, and a fever. I was given antibiotics and gravol and was soon feeling better but I missed out only seeing my baby for the first few minutes of her life as I was so ill. I went home after 24 hours and the first couple of days have been hard but are getting better every day. Giving birth was my biggest fear and I conqured it and it was the most beautiful and empowering experience I have ever had. Breastfeeding on the other hand has been so difficult and i have been pumping and bottle feeding because we are having such a difficult time with it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home